Facebook

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Balmenach 8 yo (2003/2012), SMWS 48.35, 62,7 %

Review #286
This whisky is called ”Let the summer arrive!” and comes from a first fill ex-Bourbon barrel. Only 230 bottles were made. The smell is so fresh and I really get the name! Fresh lime, marzipan, vanilla and baked apples. Beware, don’t let your nose get to close if you would like to keep your nosehair!

The flavors are so compact in the taste! The high ABV fits this whisky very well. Vanilla, and lime again. Very spicy, pepper and a hint of exotic fruits in the background like pineapple and coconut. Even though it is only 8 years old, I get a lot of gentle wood in the finish.

A very flavorful whisky compared to the low age! SMWS has chosen a fantastic bourbon barrel to bottle. Let it breathe in the glass, taste, experiment with water. I don’t find a lot of new flavors when I add water, but it calms it down, and let me focus more on the different flavors. I will rate this 88/100 (21/22/23/22).

No comments:

Post a Comment