Facebook

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Springbank 12 yo (1997/2009), DT NC2 Range - Port, 46 %

Review #404
This is from a Port cask and looks amazing at first sight! At first in the smell, I get some notes as if it were from a red wine cask. Give it a couple of minutes and it starts to open up. Ripe red berries, marzipan sweetness and just a touch of black currants. So far, I wouldn’t have guessed it to be a Springbank.

The classic Springbank touch comes forward in the taste. Some dark berries and just hints of ashes. Plums and some wood as well. Not overpowering wood, but very prominent (comes even more forward with some water). The finish is long and heavily fruity. Some smoke appears as well.

Overall on the palate the dark fruitiness is dominating, and the red wine notes I first picked up in the smell is gone, and you doesn’t pick up on it at all in the taste! What a dram. Would I love to try this at cask strength? Would I? Oohhh yea! But with that said, the 46 % does a good job! I will rate this 88/100 (21/22/22/23).

No comments:

Post a Comment