Facebook

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Bowmore 21 yo (1991/2012), A.D. Rattray, 55%

Review #602
This is from the series “Individual Cask Bottling” and comes from a first fill Sherry cask with the cask number #2063. Only 547 bottles were made. Sugary sweetness, almost like a rum, and dried fruits in the smell. Maybe I have been drinking too much peated whisky, but I think the peat easily could be mistaken for burned or toasted oak.

The oak is very dominant in the taste. Tannins, oak spices and dried fruits. The classic Bowmore character is definitely present. The finish is long and fruity. The dried fruits is now replaces (or accompanied) by red berries. It seems a bit more fresh.

A great mix of oak, age and true Bowmore! I must admit I have a hard time thinking this have matured for the entire 21 years in a first fill Sherry cask… Considering both the “lack” of dark Sherry influence you would expect after so long time in a Sherry cask, and the high number of bottles after 21 years, I think this is a finish… At least flavour-wise. I will give this 88/100 (22/22/22/22).

No comments:

Post a Comment